Monday, February 9, 2009
changing the subject
I love Jacob from the Book of Mormon. He and I have something in common. From what I can gather he was kind of a worrier like me. And I've deducted that he may have been a tad bit on the pessimistic side. As Scotty used to say, "I'm just a half empty type of guy". (This was always referring to "is the glass half empty or half full" view of life). I think Jacob might have looked at life this way also. Towards the end of his life he lamented, "...the time passed away with us, and also our lives passed away like as it were unto a dream, we being a lonesome and a solemn people, wanderers, cast out from Jeruselem, born in tribulation, in a wilderness, and hated of our brethren, which caused wars and contentions; wherefore, we did mourn out our days." But as I said before, he also seemed to be a worrier--which brings me to a discovery that has been invaluable to me, the consummate worrier. It's an obscure little verse in Jacob 4:18. Jacob has pretty much been railing on the Jews when he says this little gem of a morsel, "Behold, my beloved brethren, I will unfold this mystery unto you; if I do not, by any means, get shaken from my firmness in the spirit, and stumble because of my over anxiety for you." I realized that all the times I let myself get carried away with worries over my kids I was losing the spirit and henceforth I became a very unwise parent. This led me to another discovery which I will write about in the next day or two.........Kathy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh mom...don't be too hard on yourself. Every time you worry does not mean that you lose the Spirit. But you are right, that is a great verse. And I am so thankful that I have a mother who studies the scriptures so thoroughly and that you have such an intelligent mind. And the fact that you worry about us kids just shows that you love us. I love you mom. And I still don't know what didactic means. It's a dinosaur...I know it.
ReplyDeletehey mom! i loved that post, keep writing and finish it. you can't just leave me hanging like that. i love you mom and i CAN"T WAIT to see you this weekend!
ReplyDeleteHey Kath,
ReplyDeleteGreat insight. You have a gift-- i'm so proud that you are my sister.
Oh my gosh--all those years I spent worrying about my girls--and I thought it was the Spirit telling me to be vigilant in checking up and watching out I called it "mother's intuition".
ReplyDeleteI love you Kath. Mom